Thursday, October 30, 2014

Private school education



I haven't posted in a little while due to a lack of inspiration, however I recently had the following article pointed out to me:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-29818363

I went to independent schools for my education and have always been grateful to my parents for what was undoubtedly a better education than I could possibly have expected otherwise. In my mind there is no doubt that it has ensured I have had the opportunities and successes that I have.

I'd overlooked this article initially as a biased lambasting of independent schools and sadly that is the case. The first half of the article does little but highlight that if you pay for education, you end up with more money. However the second half of the article starts to highlight some more interesting factors that are obscured or left unanswered:
  • Why is there still a gender pay gap?
  • Whilst they factor in similar universities, they don't track against similar grades. What would this show?
I think the study this article is based on is close to highlighting that private education provides valuable 'x factors' in contacts and behaviours that would make a real difference to schooling... But once again it is lost in the cry of 'life's not fair'.

No comments:

Post a Comment