Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Home Meal Reviews: Week 7 - Plated

Happy New Year! The Holiday season that seemed never ending are over and it's back to work... and for me that means more eating! This week, a slightly delayed review of Plated:

Meals:

Meal 1 - Monday: Cheesy Enchiladas


WOW, this dish was amazing... and huge, there were 4 portions here.

Meal 2 - Wednesday: Braised Chicken with Beans and Kale


I have said before that I don't like kale, I am not big on beans either...
THIS was DELICIOUS.


Meal 3 - Thursday: Meatloaf with mashed potato and onion gravy


Worst of the 3 meals, still delicious.


Convenience


The Plated site is simple to navigate and has a relatively painless application process. The food arrived on a Tuesday (MONDAY PEOPLE MONDAY!!! We want the option of eating at home on week nights...) but it came packed nicely in some eco friendly looking hemp packaging with typical freezer packs to keep the food chill. They don't offer the return service of some of the other companies but it's not as excessive as some.

Preparation

These meals come with a similar level of preparation requirement to HelloFresh or BlueApron, about 45min although a bit less chopping. The big difference is the awesome recipes that are easy to follow and have all components of the dish, ready and hot at the same time. I am not sure why this is so hard for some of the other services but it makes a world of difference.

Ingredients

The food here was all a little over packaged but good quality, several of the meals were delayed to almost two weeks but the ingredients were still good and delicious. The meat seemed fresh and tasted very good. Some reliance on kitchen supplies but only really salt, pepper and oil. All dairy ingredients (including milk) were provided.

Taste

Delicious, all delicious. I think the only downer for me was the mashed potato but the way I would make it to be tastier would be a LOT less healthy.

Conclusion

Plated was a pleasant surprise. The food prep times are not long but not as quick as Gobble however the menus are delicious and produce results I would choose to eat. This is my current favourite for people really wanting to learn to cook. I should point out however the price point is higher even than Gobble at $72/week for 3 meals for 2 people.

Next week: Due to the delays in this post, and all the holiday shenanigans, I will be delaying the next review until the 18th with Munchery - a bit of a different option here, I will order meals for a couple of nights using this service.

Week After:
Green Chef

There are a couple of services I had planned to cover but discovered that I am not going to be able to do them:
Sprig - I am not in a location covered by this service.
Be Your Max - Only operates wholesale.

No comments:

Post a Comment