Friday, September 6, 2013

Day 68 - Musical memories

Despite really struggling to write interesting blogs recently, I am sat in one of the cafes in the Quad this morning and a load of great tunes have been pumping out all morning, some of my favorites of the 80s like The Cure, Happy Mondays, Echo & the Bunnymen more recent stuff and all of it, music that I love... or at least have loved.

One of the things that has always intrigued me is that music has such power to control moods. Sometimes this is due to the tempo, the lyrics or the key but for me these seldom have as much impact as the memories associated with the song. The people I have listened to the song with, things I have been doing whilst it has been on or the place in my life I was in when I first heard the song. A lot of this results in nostalgia as I recall people I miss, events and parties from High School and Uni.

I guess it says more about me that the memories I recall are the sad ones. Reading Jane Eyre at the moment and one of the lines reads:

Would you not be happier if you tried to forget her severity, together with the passionate emotions it excited? Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity, or registering wrongs.

This talks rather more about Jane Eyre's resentment to her aunt than regret and nostalgia in my case but I think it could be similarly applied.

So I guess I should treasure the good things and try to cast off the bad and the regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment