Saturday, August 3, 2013

Day 34 - Actually in SF!


Ok guys I know you are sick of me going on about it but I would be

Yup... it has taken me over a month to actually get into San Francisco but today I managed it...

Last night we went to the 4th in the Outdoor Movie series - Shrek! It was really cold out but the movie was good and made me realize that I haven't seen the original in a long time. The Shrek movies are about the only good CG movies I don't own the DVDs for... I may have to fix that when I get back... at least for the first two, maybe the third.

Our first target on heading into San Francisco was Cliff House, and we got there quickly enough, albeit via a slight detour as we walked up to the Legion of Honor monument first. We didn't go inside but we did watch some rather strange folk doing some kind of pseudo-military exercise that seemed to involve a lot of running in a fountain... We then walked around the cliffs and got to the remains of Sutro Pool and Cliff House. I have to say I was disappointed it seems that whilst the location has a fascinating past, there is really no reference to it as it is now simply a rather overpriced restaurant. I would love to find out some more on the history of the place.

Diego and I walked from Cliff house, through Golden Gate Park eventually stopping at San Tung. San Tung is a place I had heard of through a Zagat article on the best Fried Chicken in the US. San Francisco featured twice with San Tung and another place that I have yet to try called Wayfare Tavern. The chicken at San Tung's however is AMAZING! Their Potstickers are also amazing and it is totally worth the wait.

'Your Goal will be completed in two months' were the words inscribed upon my fortune at the end of the meal... I understand the psychology of fortune cookies (and fortunes in general) however this particular statement has filled me with hope that I may manage to complete my project in time after all... all I have to do now is work hard to make sure my cookie is not shown to be a liar...

After lunch Diego and I headed back into the park and went up to the Disc Golf course...  HOLY FUCKING COW THAT IS A NICE COURSE! It was real busy when we went, I think there was some kind of event on but it was fascinating watching some very talented players clearly familiar with the course. The holes on this course are a LOT longer than the YouTube course. I am pretty certain that the YouTube course is smaller than it ought to be and highlighted that I really need to improve the calibre of my drives.

The smell of machine oil and steel shavings is one that anybody who has spent time in a workshop knows (and in all probability loves). For me it makes me think of metal lathes, working in labs after school, machining my own steam engine from raw materials. It is a smell that I love and one I haven't smelt in a long time but today while I was sat on the bus headed back to the CalTrain.

I headed back early after having totally worn myself out and finally saw Predators. It is a great film although it really doesn't feel any different to Predator in the way things develop.

After Predators I switched to Coraline as the other film that I need to return to the library tomorrow. I am really not sure I got the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment