Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day 48 - Roller Baby!

Yesterday morning I headed into The Quad. This is a set of buildings that whilst technically part of the Mountain View Offices are about 50min walk from the rest of campus. There are a lot of offices in the Quad now as Main Campus has struggled to find property to keep up with the growth of the company. I have been here once before when I took the wrong bus from SF last year but obviously was more interested in getting to MTV proper than having a nose around. Today I was in the right place and nosing like the best of them.

Right away I noticed something that weirded me out... every building has the same layout! Ok so this is not so weird for some of you but I am not really used to seeing two buildings with the same internal layout (even the decor and furnishings match in some cases!). It is strange how the feel of different offices even within MTV can be so vastly different. The Quad campus has a very fresh, invigorating feel, I think this is largely due to the spacious layouts and bright colors. GWC (the western most offices of the main block) have a similar spacious layout around the buildings although a lot more cramped and busy inside. Main Campus has a very strange feel - everything about the environment pushes for a relaxed, unhurried atmosphere but the vibe from the people is frantic and over worked like Belgrave House. Crittenden (the North) and the Eastern buildings are much more corporate feeling (by Google standards) and feel a lot like CSG. Obviously the country differences make these parallels rather superficial and inadequate but the best I can manage.

Last night I went to the last of the Outdoor movie series - Hotel Transylvania. I had seen this movie already on my last flight back from SF and it was just as good as I remembered it being. So good in fact that I don't mind the crappy pop it features! I need to pick it up on Blu Ray.

Today I went to another of the Shut Up and Write sessions. I travelled light as I was heading straight on to the Roller Derby which meant no laptop - hand writing it. Strangely I seemed to write more this way. I can't really be sure until I type it up and compare like for like but it certainly felt that way. I really like the folks at the San Jose meet up as well. They are a great group and although it is a long way to travel, it is totally worth it. I am actually kinda bummed that I won't be going for the next couple of weeks as it means I won't get to see any of them.
Either those girls are greased lightning... or Raggy is a shit photographer... or both... FYI - It's both.

After heading off from the Writer's meet, I headed down south to San Jose Skate for the Silicon Valley Girls Roller Derby and it was AWESOME. I mean really really fun. I wish I was a girl and a halfway decent skater so that I could do that because frankly it looks awesome. It was also great to be around a  properly alt. crowd as well - it's been a while since I last hung around with that kinda group. The only downside was having to head out halfway through the second bout in order to get home but even then missing my connecting bus meant it took me almost 3hrs to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment