Monday, August 19, 2013

Day 50 - Half Century

Today has been incredibly unproductive. It has gotten really quite frustrating that I am now just limiting myself. I know what I need to be doing - I am just not getting it done. My next steps seem to be pulling me in two different directions which isn't helping either as I really don't know which will be better. I am feeling lazy having done very little walking over the weekend and getting the bus in this morning for no real reason. I am starting to find the general laziness of American culture is infecting me. Where a couple of weeks ago I would have thought nothing of getting up to walk into the office, I am increasingly looking to find excuses to take the shuttle instead and more often giving in to these arguments. Today we wandered over to 1900 block to one of the cafes I haven't been to yet. The interns I went with felt it was too far to walk back and called a gRide. gRides are basically cabs that operate on campus that you don't have to pay for. This was fine but seeing as we had to wait 5 min for the car to arrive, the car got stopped at every set of lights and wasn't in much of a hurry anyway, I kinda feel walking would have been no slower. I guess I am glad to have tried this experiment in laziness but I really need to pick up the pace a bit both in terms of exercise and work.

In the end I gave up on being productive for the day and wrote a new blog (yes another one). You can check it out here. I have already drafted out the first few entries and will be posting it weekly on a Monday.

The total lack of productivity was draining me and in the end I headed out from work fairly early in the hopes getting more useful work done at home. Mondays are the night when Diego goes to an evening class so the apartment is always quiet and I am usually able to get a decent amount of work done... tonight I am writing this blog.

A few days ago I wrote a blog entry on good things about America, feeling at the time that I had been a little overly critical. Well I figured now would be a good time to continue that sense of good will towards this place.

There is something indescribable about the pace of life here. It isn't that time drags or that everything is a race it seems that time will shift to ensure that it passes at the speed you want. In my 6 weeks here, I can't think of any occasion when I have felt like I have had nothing to do (outside of a few slow days in the office) nor where I have to run around to get everything done. I have spent whole days doing nothing and days where I look back and wonder how I did all the stuff I did in the time and neither of them felt any different.

The sky is another thing to enjoy out here. The color is just what the sky should be, powder blue with fluffy high clouds that drift lazily across the sky and even in the most urban areas, the low buildings mean there is always plenty of it to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment