Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 44 - SQL like a BOSS

That's right. I OWN SQL.

So I may have finally got a couple of queries to run without issue or making up ludicrous numbers and may have let this new found power go to my head...

I know I bitch about a lot of things about America, but there are several upsides to this fucked up country and I figured I would try and put in a few of these upsides to the US in this blog and a few of the upcoming blogs...

The Weather... I know, I know - 'you English and your obsession with the weather'. We have a lots of weather to get excited about! You go out in the morning and there is absolutely NO way of knowing if it is gonna piss down, snow, hail, fog, blow you over... it may even be glorious sunshine! Every day is a gamble... and that's great, I guess... Mountain View, CA on the other hand has PERFECT WEATHER EVERY DAY. I have been here 44 days and so far the temperature has varied between 15-18 at night and 25-35 in the day. It hasn't rained, it's never humid, the wind is cool and refreshing... and yet people here constantly complain that it is either too warm or not warm enough! And people say the English always complain! Honestly I can't imagine weather any better than this... it is almost to the point where I am missing rain.

People here are nice! They will ask you how you are, even if they don't know you... and ACTUALLY CARE! Now as a born and raised Londoner this is pretty alien to me as a concept. Even the idea of cashiers asking how you're doing is strange. I know that more remote regions of England a lot nicer but even then people are not quite as over the top as this.

For all the additives, the crap that is fed to animals, genetic modification, chemicals and preservatives that are standard practice for American industry - Americans are the masters of food. I don't mean fine cuisine or food that you ought to like, I mean the crap that you can't get enough of, that you hate yourself for eating but still go back for more of it. I love burgers, I love burritos and hot dogs and fried chicken and milkshakes and all the rest. One of the hardest things for me has been not stuffing my face with all that goodness.

Allergies... I am used to having a runny nose, in fact I have had one almost my entire life, it may stop for a day or two but it is sure to start up again... until I came out here. I have no idea what about this area is causing this change... you might think it is the fresh air but as I am walking 30min along a freeway to and from work every day, that seems unlikely.

More great things about America to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment