Monday, July 29, 2013

Day 29 - Catching up with YouTube

So the procrastination of last week is coming around to bite me in the ass... big time. Sigh, I really should have prepared better for this project. It turns out that the amount of data I am trawling through makes YouTube ad data, one of the largest single sites in the world, look like a sand bucket next to an olympic sized swimming pool. I am now crashing servers with my query attempts because I am just not refining enough.

I am currently sat waiting for my script to complete so I figured I would write down a few things that I have noticed that Americans just don't understand...

Quarter Past 5 (or another hour)
Half 5 (or another hour) - These are apparently totally alien to Americans not exposed to much English culture...

Trousers these are 'Fancy Pants' in America of course everytime I hear 'Fancy Pants' in an American accent I find it hilarious.

Grub... ok so saying this one I knew it was gonna be unknown... Supper is also not a US term and apparently very fun for Americans listening to an English person say.

Bollocks... I am honestly not sure Americans know what this word is but they deff don't say it.

Lift... both in terms of cadging a lift (I'm pretty sure cadging is another unknown term) and in terms of metal box that goes up and down are apparently English.

In other news - I recently increased my UP's step count target to 12,000 steps/day. For the most part I am still able to make the quota with little difficulty most days but it does throw out my quick calculations based on % of daily goal. Previously it was very easy as 1% was 1,000 steps but now it is a little trickier to work out at a glance. Hopefully this increase will encourage me to walk more and further. According to Notch, my daily average is 15,000 steps so I should be able to meet 12,000 pretty much every day with little trouble. Once I feel that I am meeting this regularly I will try and boost it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment