Thursday, July 4, 2013

Day 4 - America's Independence

Ok so less than a week in and I am already missing days! This is a great start. The truth of it is that nothing much happened until the evening so I figured I would write an entry after the Fireworks in order to have something to include!

Diego, my flatmate, and I headed to a nearby supermarket in the morning which was quite an experience. Neither of us are particularly sensible and so ended up traveling to the Supermarket with no sensible way of bringing what we bought back! In the end we had to trust in brown paper bags... for a big shop, between two of us but it all worked out in the end.

Most of the day was pretty chilled, doing a bit of preparation for the evening (making stuffed mushrooms) and sorting Ann Marie's birthday present... it's nearly done!

The main event was heading over to Mimi's house for a barbecue and fireworks! Getting there was an interesting experience, I got on the local train just fine... then panicked and thought I might be on the wrong one... got off at the next stop and had to wait 30min for the next train! Then got to the bus stop for the last stretch to find out the buses weren't running... so a 2 mile walk to Mimi's. I got there and it was AWESOME! It was really chilled and fun, a few beers and TONS of food, we ate and then headed out into the streets to watch all the fireworks that had been going off since before I arrived and carried on until well after I left. Apparently these are all done (illegally) by the locals and it is like a contest as different houses all around will set off more and more elaborate displays. The real highlight of the evening was seeing Mimi's sister Yen getting proposed to by her boyfriend!

Right time to go clothes shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment