Sunday, July 7, 2013

Day 7 - Jawboned

Most of you will already know that I am a big fan of the Jawbone Up. There are a few issues with it - a web interface would be good, actually having UK products in the food catalogue would be nice, in fact some improvements to the food logging in general are needed, lack of location tracking to help map your routes, and lastly the ability to update stuff offline would be good. Really these are minor quibbles given that in the 3.5 months I have had the band I have lost almost 10kg when in the previous year I had struggled to drop 6kg and most of it had been readded before I got the band.
So why am I once again waxing lyrical about this device? Well Jawbone have recently improved their app to allow integration with a bunch of other services! So of course I am now going through and adding as many of them as I can benefit from. The list of Apps currently available for the Android are:

  • RunKeeper
  • MyFitnessPal
  • MapMyFitness
  • IFTTT
  • Withings
  • Wello
  • Notch
  • Sleepio
  • Lose It!
  • CarePass from Aetna
Of these I have immediately ruled out Sleepio, Wello & Lose It! as they require paying for (The Lose It! is the only one of these that seems awesome but I am pissed that the free version only has Fuelband support). In addition IFTTT has some cool programmatic features but I can't be bothered with it right now. I will consider it in the future. I have also passed on Withings for now as it needs a set of scales that I am not sure I am willing to invest in. Lastly I won't be using RunKeeper, partly because I don't do running but mostly because I tried it before and really didn't get on with it or feel it would give me anything that wouldn't be better collated through MapMyFitness.

This leaves:
  • Lose It! (the stripped down free version that won't integrate)
  • CarePass which simply seems to act as a hub for the other apps
  • Notch which seems to provide visualizations of your tracking data (maybe the most interesting of these although the functionality still seems a bit limited - it should at least provide some of the desktop interface desires)
  • MyFitnessPal a
  • MapMyFitness a

No comments:

Post a Comment