Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 30 - Blood Bowl ftw

Feeling like a boss as I run two separate massive SQL queries simultaneously using both my local machine and a SSL connected server. I feel soo cool and programmer-y...

20min later and both queries finally error out... I feel like a total n00b. I would dearly love to know why all these queries are failing.

I am also drinking what I think is basically hot water with artificially vanilla flavored non-dairy creamer mixed in... It seems like the ultimate American drink - completely synthetic.

I had lunch with the local community who are predominantly early era silicon valley hippies - they are now in retirement and in all honesty showing exactly what happens to you if you spend your life smoking pot. Severe hand tremors, lots of difficulty following fairly simple statements (although it is entirely possible that this is my accent and fast talk)... these are people in their 50s and yet their condition is more like 70 or 80 year olds in terms of motor control and mental acuity esp. considering they were programmers and engineers many of them. I did however hear a good joke:

Q.  How many software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. None, that's a hardware problem.
It amused me anyway.

Managed to Blood Bowl Team Manager to the table this evening with some guys in the office and had a great time. I did a terrible job of explaining it and it took a while to play (we only played two rounds in the end) but everyone left talking about playing it properly next time so hopefully we will get it to the table again soon and maybe get some elements of Sudden Death into the mix.

A random thing I have also noticed... Mountain View seems to have almost as many dogs as people and yet the streets are pretty much entirely free of dog shit... I wonder what is so different about the culture here that makes people more responsible dog owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment